[Board] Re: GeoTools implementation path approval

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 28 09:47:07 PDT 2007

Adrian Custer wrote:
> Frank and others,
>
> Our cannonical page, these days, is:
>   http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Geotools+Legal+Review
> which is my latest and greatest attempt to explain what's going on.

Adrian,

Is the request to the board that it authorize having Heather Meeker
complete work on the following documents (estimated at a few thousand
dollars of her time)?

http://docs.codehaus.org/download/attachments/9765352/Assignment-Text-Draft-200708.doc?version=1
http://docs.codehaus.org/download/attachments/9765352/AssignmentRenewal-Text-Draft-200708.doc?version=1

You list these questions:

"""
     *  How will OSGeo handle institutions who waive their right to retain
copyright and permit a contributor to add to an OSGeo project without formally
granting OSGeo a copy or licensing right?
     * How will OSGeo handle legal regimes where rights can only be granted
over past contributions? Will yearly renewal documents for both the license
agreement and copyright assignment documents be prepared as well?
     * How will OSGeo handle minors who cannot, on their own, undertake any of
these agreements?
"""

Is it your intention that the board answer these questions?  Or Heather?

I'd still like to ensure there is someone knowledgable at the board meeting
willing to speak on behalf of the request, and I'd like to see the request
to the board made fairly explicit.