[Board] Project Sponsors for Incubating Projects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 08:37:56 PDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Well, fooey on you Arnulf :)  I'll just have to complete Incubation,
> shouldn't take long.  The dollars aren't really time sensitive, I just
> want to start milking all these wonderful corporate PSC members as
> soon as possible (Bob, you didn't read that).

Folks,

Despite having done it myself before completing incubation, I think it is
reasonable for us in the future to require projects complete incubation before
being eligible to enter the sponsorship program for exactly the reasons
Arnulf gives.  To me the most compelling of these is that we need to be
comfortable that the project is "well functioning" from a governance
point of view.

I have taken the liberty of adding this to the Project Sponsorship program
page:

''As an unofficial addendum, it is required that projects either have completed
incubation or receive a special exemption from the OSGeo board before entering
the sponsorship program.''