[Board] Funny how the world looks different outside the board ...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 11:57:35 PDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> I started a simple press release here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Press_Release_Board_2008
>
> Todo:  Add a few details about the new directors, Ari and Howard.
> Consider a short sentence for each director too?  This may be the first
> time some readers will ever have been introduced to an OSGeo board,
> might as well impress them with the caliber of people involved!

Tyler,

Traditionally press releases have quotes from key individuals.  Arnulf,
and you or perhaps one of the new directors or an outgoing director might
be good.

> Most of the press release "process" can fall into our simpler news item
> methods.  Much of the press release process was to help guide the
> marketing committee and others outside of the board who wanted to make
> releases.  Since it hasn't been used much at all, maybe twice, then I
> suggest we handle this on the board list and then let me go through
> posting the release itself.  That is, bypass Marketing and Legal review,
> while at the same time we push it out through normal news channels.

I think the press release should still be vetted by the marketting committee
per the process document.  They provided good feedback on my previous effort
to produce an OSGeo press release (even though I end up not being up to
completing the process).

I imagine we can dispense with legal review - there isn't anything risky
involved here.