[Board] December Board meeting

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Dec 2 11:09:28 PST 2008

Hi,

I was going to write that I can, so and so, make it but now, as it is
postponed to 12th, I have to write that I can't make it.

I'll try to say something about the marketing issue Howard brought up. I
think too that it's a bit drastic to allocate close to 100% of non-fixed
costs there, but the needs of SAC were not brought up so much in Cape
Town. We also don't yet know what the marketing committee will propose -
they seemingly haven't had any meetings after Oct 22 (I was on IRC then).

Howard's email is convincing - he should have brought the issue up
at/for Cape Town f2f. But. As already mentioned, buying such services
might be expensive and it may not be a good idea to tie ourselves to
such services. I can't help but to think the one case where an
institution offered to help us with manpower. That may have not been
sysadmin work but we might find others willing to offer such. Also as
Jeroen writes below, outreach is critical. My idea of "marketing" is
also more than just printing and distributing leaflets. Outreach means
empowering local groups. Indirectly that also helps SAC.

As we get more active towards potential sponsors we could also think
more about sponsors that can provide us sysadmin type help (like
telascience). Again I have a certain Finnish establishment in mind (and
I have better links there than to those companies) with a long history
of helping FOSS. What is it exactly that we need should be written down.

The other issue recently on the board list was the FOSS4G code sprint. I
also support the point of view that the code sprint and the conference
should be kept / moved closer together - than taken more apart, also
economically.

Regards,

Ari