[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Sun Jan 6 15:41:58 PST 2008

Hey all, sorry for sounding in so late on this thread, was in the middle
of vacation, and only got back to work in the new year, and am still
catching up on email.

For awhile now I've felt a disconnect between at least what my
priorities for OSGeo would be and the day to day activities of the ED.
I'm pretty sure we've talked about getting more granular reports on
activities, but I have yet to really see them.  I think I had a similar
reaction to Jo when I read the ED update.  If we had a tighter feedback
loop then we might have been able to give more immediate feedback on
priorities.

I never saw any discussion as to whether the Journal should really be a
top priority.  Perhaps I missed it, but I never would have actively
voted for it as one of the main time commitments of the ED.  It just
strikes me as too inward facing, preaching to the choir.  I think it's
been a good thing, but we should focus on getting the content in it
republished elsewhere, instead of just taking an 'if we build it they
will come' approach.  It strikes me as an indirect way of getting
towards what we want, which is more exposure of OSGeo to those who do
not know it.  I also think the nature of a 'journal' is relatively
inward focused, when I think journal I think academic - writing for
one's peers, with a focus on just being 'published', not on wider
readership.  I know the journal has wider aspirations, but if it does
I'd say the ED's time should at least now be really focused on promoting
it, not on producing it.  If its production can't stand up on its own,
or gets in to a slower cycle, then I think that's fine.

As for legal status, I'll just echo Frank's and Jo's thoughts.  I don't
think it's core to what we are doing.  Most of our immediate sponsors
are corporations who can write it off either way.  I don't think the tax
burden of non-profit vs. corporation is going to make or break OSGeo,
and though many US grant applications require it I don't think it's
certain that we even want to go after grants to accomplish our goals -
having gone for a number and even being successful at some I don't
really recommend it, it's not worth the effort unless you have a gifted
grant writer who knows how the system works, as there's a lot of people
asking for money.

But I do think it should be close to completion, so we should finish it
up.  But I don't think it should be a blocker on any other activity.

As for trips, when we approved the travel budget I really thought these
would be primarily for trips to either promote OSGeo to new areas, or to
close on specific sponsors.  Going to a local chapter meeting and making
the initial pitch seems less effective to me, the ED should come in for
the close, for the final touch.

Ok, now I need to apologize for the negative tone of this email, and for
its length.  I think my OSGeo enthusiasm and involvement had been
fading, since I've felt less connected to the activities.  But it looks
like others may share some of my concerns.  I think we as a board need
to do a better job of communicating our priorities to Tyler, and we need
to be following up to make sure how he spends his days is in line with
that.  I don't think we need another large discussion of our priorities,
I believe Jo puts quite well what we should be focusing on: 'show
measurable public impact and return on investment'.

I will try to think on ideas on how to help this, as I think OSGeo has a
lot of potential for 2008, but it depends on all of us executing, and
planning for the future, doing more than just keeping things running.
Thanks for bringing this up Jo, it's a hard topic, but I think it's core
to our success, both figuring out the most effective use of our
resources, and making sure OSGeo is an organization we all feel good
about 'pitching'.

best regards,

Chris