[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Jan 9 21:36:31 PST 2008

Hey Tyler, sorry for causing you confusion, I'll try to clarify a few
things.  And I'm sorry for writing a confusing email, I didn't feel it
got across what I wanted to, but didn't figure out a way to write
something better.

A couple things on the two main take aways.  I think what I'd actually
_really_ like on the fundraising and sponsorship is you engaging the
board more.  Using your time to herd us cats, with some concrete actions
that we can do.  You're going to have to be the point man on the
strategy, figure out the path that you feel comfortable pursuing.  But
it'd be great to take away a couple actionable items.  And not vague
things, but specifics like reach out to persons X and Y, and tell them
these things.  I've never paid much attention to fund raising stuff, but
when we were trying to hire a fundraising person the thing they always
told us is that you _have_ to have a board.  We haven't really built our
board for TOPP yet.  For OSGeo we have a pretty great board, but I think
all of us need help with what our concrete steps for raising money our.
  I'm not saying you should naturally know this Tyler, just know that we
should be a resource with potential.

I wasn't meaning to imply anything about 'value for money', I was mostly
just pointing that a few things in the last ED report that I don't feel
are the most effective use of time.  I'm open to hearing how the journal
is the most important thing, but I don't remember a discussion about
that and it seemed to be eating a lot of your time.

As for the reports, your latest report is really great.  It gives a nice
clear picture of what you've been up to that's easy to digest.  All I
meant by 'granularity' is 'more often', not necessarily more detailed.
If it had come to my attention earlier how much time the journal was
taking up I could have raised my concerns earlier (and these are my
concerns, others may have successfully argued it was the best thing to
do).  Instead the report said that it had taken a lot of time.  Maybe
others feel that a weekly report is a bit much, but I'd love to see more
about the day to day.  The other thing I'd like to see (though others
can push back that this is a bit much) is a rough breakdown between how
much time is spent on the different categories.  Like so if just
answering questions about osgeo on irc and im and email is taking up a
large percentage of your time then that becomes explicit, and we can
maybe figure out places where we can help more.

I don't think I said anything about sponsorship value, so not sure what
to say there.

I'm not sure that my advice for the journal extends much more beyond
contact gis publications with particular articles that might be of
interest to them and see if you can get them reprinted.  Reusing the
content I think has quite a bit of potential.  I apologize I don't
really have time to sub to another list.

 > I am confused by this because, indeed, I am coming to close the deal
 > after the local chapters that invited me set the deal up.

I didn't see anything on the Japan trip about closing of deals, or even
about the discussions of potential osgeo funding.  At least not in the
ed report email from 12/11.  Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think I'd
like to hear more about lots from that trip, of what all Venka's doing,
what Orkney's doing, what the state of OS GIS in Japan is, what you and
Geoff and Schuyler and Lorenzo brainstormed about.  Maybe it's a bit
much for a monthly update, but I for one would be psyched to hear about
all the information gathered on that trip.  For potential osgeo funding
and leads, and really more just in general.

I'm sorry I hadn't provided feedback on some of this earlier, it is
definitely my fault for not bringing it up and letting it build to a
bunch of negative points.  I think/hope things are getting better
already, the latest report was really great.  Maybe the other thing that
could help is to gather a bit of specific feedback from the board after
the report on the call about priorities for the next month and things
done in the previous month?  I think I've felt like it's just a report
and wasn't sure when/how to give feedback.

Also, I think you've done a great job in the last year Tyler, of getting
a handle on everything, having a successful organization up and running.
  OSGeo has been doing most everything we set out to do, and that's
definitely hugely to your credit Tyler.  I think my point should be
redone to something like 'I want this to be a big growth year for
OSGeo'.  I want us to make a splash in places we haven't before, to not
just speak to the choir, but to turn our focus outward.

As for defining 'show measurable public impact and return on
investment', for OSGeo in general I'd again define it very vaguely, as
having a lot more people know about open source geospatial.  I can
articulate a way I personally would go about this, it'd focus heavily on
the open geodata project, which I think I could justify in different
ways as lining up really well with our stated priorities.  Other board
members may have different ways of doing it, but I don't think the best
thing to do would be to us have another big committee discussion on it.
  I think I'd prefer to sign on to a vision that the ED feels passionate
about and argues for.  I'm even open to that being the Journal, I'd just
need to hear more about the wider impact and how its showing measurable
public impact.

I apologize if this is still not helpful - I really fear that it's not
and that maybe I should just remain silent and/or get off the board,
since I may just only be hurting things by bringing up these discussions
again, and maybe OSGeo should just get on with it and continue down the
course we're set on.  I'm just not sure...

best regards,

Chris