[Board] Re: [Marketing] Processing "OSGeo Teach-in" request

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 4 09:07:11 PDT 2008

Hi,

My opinion is that if we allow people to organise OSGeo events (like
Teach In), OSGeo should at least keep a minimum of control on what will
be happening or who organise it. Just allowing sponsors to organise
Teach In can lead to problem I think. I think this kind of event would
at least need Board approval (and/or Conference commitee approval). A
proposal, like Paul and Jeff's one, is enough for now in my sense and is
really all I need to make me an idea. Can this become the first step to
a more defined process?

My $0.02

Julien

PS: As a OSGeo member with some favorable bias for Jeff and Paul (since
I know them personally) and without really thinking about it more than 5
minutes here are my requirements/policy:
- Will it be fun?
- Will it be intesting (Will I learn something)?
- Will it be financially viable?
- Will it market (not sure what's the good word) the OSGeo name well?

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi Jo,
> I think there's an important extra point here: The organizers take the
> full financial risk of the event.
>
> Further to Tyler's point (I don't see how becoming a sponsor can help
> in these cases.  It's come up a couple times but I think there's a
> misunderstanding of sponsor benefits here.  The rights of sponsors
> don't really include using the OSGeo brand as part of their own
> events.  It merely lets them identify themselves as sponsors.  Are you
> thinking of specific wording on that page that suggests more?  I'm
> thinking of the "Right to use OSGeo Sponsor logo and promote named
> sponsorship level"):
>
> I could definitely see that becoming a benefit of sponsors. I'm still
> not convinced that selling a teach in brand in itself is something I
> would go for, but could live with that. I like the sponsor benefit
> better, using another formulation than "OSGeo Teach In" for such an  event.
>
> Ciao,
> Jeroen
>
> On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:25 PM, jo at frot.org wrote:
>
>> - We had an approach from some OSGeo members saying, "We want to put  on
>>  this event, we'll pay presenters well and host a one-day open/free
>>  event at the end, and give OSGeo either 10K or 10% share of profit.
>>  In return, we want to promote this as 'an OSGeo event', use the
>>  online promotional and marketing facilities, and have a promise of
>>  public support from OSGeo staff and officers"

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
Mapgears
http://www.mapgears.com/