[Board] Re: [SAC] Reliability of Services

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Fri Mar 21 10:32:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:50:16PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >Perhaps it's a good time to pause and ask a few questions that affect
> >maintaining our services:

> My *hope* was that there might be a
> consultant/contractor from somewhere with modest wage expectations, and
> a passion for OSGeo that might take this on for a modest wage

It does sound to me as if what is needed (a fairly intensive burst of
analysis of the underlying problems, network monitoring setup, and
recommending any rearrangement of services that may be needed)
would benefit a lot from a short-term (paid) dedicated person on it.

> >4- Do we want to consider moving to another hosting platform?
> I'm not sure what you are proposing, but I think change without
> a clear rationale is the last thing we need.

One possible reason to consider this more seriously is that PEER1
is VERY expensive. (At 15K USD p/a, 5-10 times what it would seem
necessary to cough up for a couple of vhosts on some anonymous rack.)

good luck!

jo