[Board] Re: [SAC] Reliability of Services

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 24 09:18:48 PDT 2008

jo at frot.org wrote:
>>> 4- Do we want to consider moving to another hosting platform?
>> I'm not sure what you are proposing, but I think change without
>> a clear rationale is the last thing we need.
>
> One possible reason to consider this more seriously is that PEER1
> is VERY expensive. (At 15K USD p/a, 5-10 times what it would seem
> necessary to cough up for a couple of vhosts on some anonymous rack.)

Jo,

Well, I think we need more than "a couple of vhosts".  I believe we
ended up with a relatively expensive (by my standards) solution partly
because we demanded a provider with some sort of uptime guarantee though
I'm personally not overly keen on that aspect.

If we want to reduce costs I think the most obvious step might be
to drop the second Peer1 host which we are currently using as a place
to rsync backups to, and to operate the wiki.

This would save roughly half our costs.

But all things considered $15K/yr isn't ruinous.