[Board] Teach-in 2009

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue May 27 09:22:44 PDT 2008

On 27-May-08, at 9:03 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> A suggestion: Clone the idea immediately and offer the same thing
> on 1-2 other continents, too.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try this one first and then, if
workable and with moral support from OSGeo, someone can take it
elsewhere?  Just seeing a proposal like this might be enough to
encourage others elsewhere too.

If, in the end, this geographical concern is too large of a barrier
for some innovative consultants to make a useful event happen - then
the board sends a negative message to other potential organisers ("do
not even bother trying").  I don't think that's the message anyone
wants to portray, is it?

While the concern about geographical representation is real and valid
from a policy standpoint, I believe in supporting groups that want to
do things locally (wherever that is).  Should absence of interest or
initiative from other parts of the world make it harder for those who
are interested and take the initiative?

Tyler