[Board] Teach-in 2009

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue May 27 12:01:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 09:22:44AM -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 27-May-08, at 9:03 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> If, in the end, this geographical concern is too large of a barrier
> for some innovative consultants to make a useful event happen - then
> the board sends a negative message to other potential organisers ("do
> not even bother trying").  I don't think that's the message anyone
> wants to portray, is it?

I have not "portrayed" this message nor seen anyone else do so.
I see a situation in which a) FOSS4G's success may be negatively
impacted and b) the impression may be reinforced that OSGeo is focused on
NA and inevitably serves the interests of the social network there.

> Should absence of interest or initiative from other parts of the world
> make it harder for those who are interested and take the initiative?

Perhaps the place of a charitable Foundation is to help create interest
and to support initiative where it is lacking, wherever in the world that is?

Paul sent a long list of "other parts of the world" where groups have
worked, independently or with local business and academic partners, to
organise and promote open source GIS events, without Foundation branding.

Sigh.

jo