[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu May 29 10:24:50 PDT 2008

Thanks for putting me back on track. Now we are getting somewhere. I am
starting to understand.

Mind me that I am making this up along the way. Sorry if I appear
offensive. Just see me as I am. Struggling with every thought that you
throw at a poor overloaded brain that continuously has to translate back
and forth between English and German. If you give me some time to wrap my
head around it I might get what you want.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 17:52, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I reiterate: it would be nice to see a succinct statement of opposition
> to Paul's proposal that can be argued for/against.

The commercial aspect of the proposal does not align with the character of
OSgeo (us).

Solution: There are perfect processes around to use. Use them to make the
proposal come true.

> Perhaps this good question of Arnulf's was meant to be such a statement?

Yes.

>> How can we (OSGeo) assure that we (OSGeo) apply the same vetting to
>> anybody (OSGeo members?) who approach OSGeo wanting to do the same
> thing?
>
> It is the Board's responsibility to make such decisions.  Sometimes
> there is no clear-cut decision criteria, alas, especially for ideas that
> are new and untried -- situations like this are why boards exist: to make
> such policy decisions.
>
> Three possible paths suggest themselves to me:

1- simply declare the teach-in idea inappropriate, and end the
> discussion

If I could I would Warnock it somehow, yes I would. :-)

> 2- put out a CFP for teach-ins and then choose amongst the
> respondents using a set of criteria, not unlike the annual conference
> 3-judge each teach-in proposal on a case-by-case basis

4 - (simply) apply the existing brand and trademark rules

I don't see any difference in Paul's proposal to many other business
activity that takes place every day around the world for considerable time
already without any big discussions. The only difference is that it seems
to be the first one in NA and Paul asks. There is nothing unruly in
developing a brand that is named "Teach-in". It teaches the "The OSGeo
Stack", a term that is neutral. Nor would we (OSGeo) object to its use -
always in the faith that the training will not focus on some proprietary
package only and promotes OSGeo in some way and so on. This is just
STANDARD BUSINESS.

But calling it "OSGeo Teach-in" and make it in some way appear to be an
official OSGeo event like FOSS4G or (to a lesser degree) FOSSGIS - does
not work well for me. This is what I object to.

If we want the "OSGeo Teach-in" to become a brand (Paul has already
redesigned the logo - something which I am very in favor of) - that could
be used to raise funds - then we need to design a process. (...thinking
out loud): The logo "OSGeo Teach-in" could be something you get when you
are a sponsor. Then you can do this kind of event. Whether it is good or
not - we (OSGeo) at Marketing Committee might want to design a
questionnaire for the participants and collect statistics for the success
of the "Tech-in" so that we (OSGeo) can publish it and use it to further
our brand and make it attractive to new sponsors ("OSGeo Teach-in service
providers" and governments allow their public servants to go to the FOSS4G
because there you can also get "OSGeo Teach-Ins" - the ones with the rare
exception when you can be taught by Paul Ramsey personally. One of the
most renowned figures of the Open Source Geospatial World. In a debate
with Steve Coast and the Chief Ordnance Survey Guru iof the UK - Peter ter
Haar. Thats cool marketing. Pity that we (OSGeo) don't spend more time on
building OSGeo.

> (I'd personally suggest path #3, since the idea is relatively new and
> untried; should it be successful or unsucessful, then the board can move to
> path #2 or #1, respectively, the next time such a teach-in idea comes
> around.)

This is not really new. But as I see it we are talking about two different
things. Both can be done and for both you do not have to ASK anybody:
* Create a local conference with all the community related governance
issues (a thousand lurk, a hundred talk, 10 debate and 2 do the work)
* Create a business model that intends to make a profit. When you do the
marketing plan and consider whether you want to use the OSGeo logo you
have to decide.
** Use the links to the OSGeo product pages, they are contained within
OSGeo. They are well renowned so this attracts clients.
** Become a sponsor. Then you are allowed to carry the OSGeo logo on your
web site.

Arnulf Christl
http://arnulf.us/Blog