[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Thu May 29 17:00:56 PDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I might also suggest a 3b option - judge this proposal on it's merits,
> but try to develop criteria for future decisions on OSGeo
> branded/supported
> commercial training activities.
Judging this on merit is important and this is a good time to come up
with evaluation criteria  My perspective as a co-chair of the Education
Committee is that I'd like to put in a pitch for giving value to the
degree to which the proposal improves the archive of education/outreach
materials that we are compiling. If a project proposed to make open
licensed training materials available through OSGeo they would be given
more credit than if the training materials were proprietary. I expect a
similar metric would be developed for the software that would be
supported in the Teach-In(open source, free, OSGeo project [in or out of
incubation]).

My perspective as a potential student in one of these workshops is that
this is a great idea. The FOSS4G workshops in the past have always
filled up quickly and there seemed to be more demand than what could be
accommodated. My (unfounded) sense is that if a young organization like
OSGeo errors in judgment early on it's better to error on the side of
increasing visibility. There will always be folks who find fault in the
details but the "big picture" here seems to be a step in the right
direction.

All the best,

Ned