[Board] So what is the purpose of OSGeo?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu May 29 10:59:31 PDT 2008

On 29-May-08, at 10:41 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

>> It ends up sounding like the board could be out of touch with the
>> needs and interests of the community and its projects.
>>
> This may well be true. Is this a musing or a position? (I should
> know so
> that i can decide whether being on the board makes good sense).

You should know I speak more in generalities than specifics :)  It's
neither musing nor a personal position.  This is a hypothetical
position that observers of the board could come to during this
discussion.

It reminds me of a somewhat similar "problem" with branding early on
in the Education Committee.  The author of a good curriculum came
forward, looking to use OSGeo branding on the material, since it
taught about some OSGeo projects.  The course material would be made
available publicly (under CC license), but was primarily taught as
part of a academic course you had to pay for.  It was a difficult
issue for a young committee to deal with and I wouldn't be surprised
if it left some people wondering what the point of such a committee
was if it wasn't able or interested in supporting such projects.
After all, the committee itself was not likely going to be writing
its own curriculum from scratch - so this could have been an easy way
to embrace something that exists, without any work.

Tyler