[Board] In-kind sponsorships

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Oct 22 18:20:11 PDT 2008

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I see the point you make. My reaction was that we shouldn't say no to
> somebody wanting to help.We do need help also, don't we? But yes,
> perhaps it's best to not use the word "sponsor" unless it's cash or
> something that has a price tag.

I agree with what Howard has said and with Ari that the word "sponsor"
should have a price tag.

If OSGeo wants to have some formal recognition for "Volunteer Services",
we could consider some other mechanism. The UN has the UN Volunteer
Service and several international aid agencies have them too
(e.g. Peace Corps, JICA-Volunteer etc). OSGeo could have
  "OSGeo-Volunteer" as a means of formally recognize volunteer
efforts.

Venka