[Board] In-kind sponsorships

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Oct 23 02:52:29 PDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
> <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> On the recognition topic, I've been dreaming of having a sort of member
>> directory - one that helps show the people involved with each
>> project/chapter/committee, etc.  From a data mining standpoint I'd love to
>> see all those connections, plus it helps us enumerate how many people are
>> involved.
>
> Yes.
> This could be "easily" done by adding relevant categories to the user pages.
> Likewise for the long term desired geo-tag to create a member map.
>
> Markus

Hello,
Nothing much to add, most of what ha been said makes a lot of sense. In Wikipedia they have a recognition system where barnstars are awarded to exceptionally active people [1]. This would also allow OSGeo to honor more people within shorter time, something that will be hard with the Community Spotlights as they do not make so much sense when they come in bunches.

To extend this to recognition of companies people should simply add their affiliations on their user page and voila, there is the back link that shows that the company supports OSGeo (this is being done already anyway).

So lets just take an OSGeo compass, color it in brass and stick it on respected folks user pages.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars