[Board] 2009 Elections

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Aug 11 09:22:24 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Arnulf Christl
(OSGeo)<arnulf at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> In my capacity as CRO, I have begun the elections planning process.
>> Herewith:
>>
>> * I need immediate feedback on the NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS for the first
>> stage of the process.
>
> My take is that we should aim any at getting at least 15 new Charter
> Members but allow up to a maximum of 30. This will compensate for drop
> outs who we cannot identify until after the process when they have
> repeatedly not voted or became active in another way. It is still small
> enough a share to prevent OSGeo from being taken over by an evil flash
> mob. Last year was unfortunate in that we had to turn down some potential
> members who would have been a good addition.

The important number is the maximum. Maximum 30 is a fairly large
amount, based on nominations from last time, its basically "everyone".
If you have a preference, board members, express it, or I will take
the expressed number (30).

> You have not scheduled the election for the president yet. I did not
> receive a notable number of comments to my suggestion to prolong the
> president's term. Thus we will have to stick to our schedule and nominate
> and vote again this year, this should probably show up somewhere in the
> announcements. I am prepared to stay for another term if I get nominated.

Yes, I guess because it's (election of the president, officers) not a
function of the membership, it's a function of the board, no?

> If we need to change anything else in the voting process documents I again
> suggest to prolong the president's term to allow for some more continuity.

P.