[Board] Re: [Fwd: [Foss4g2010-private] Budget FOSS4G 2010, review 12-2009]

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Dec 3 11:03:46 PST 2009

Bearing in mind that PDF budgets are very difficult to work with
compared to a spreadsheet *cough* *cough*, here's some thoughts.

- The budget is very comprehensive and has many fiddly bits that are
commonly discovered later in the planning process ("hey, we need
poster panels!").
- There is a contingency expense category "Miscellaneous" which
actually already *includes* the budgeted OSGeo profit, and an
additional 5% gross contingency, which makes the category run from
EUR30K on the low and at EUR40K on the high end. This is in *addition*
to the headline profit of EUR25K at the low end to EUR30K on the high
end.
- So, even ignoring the contingency, the profit-to-OSGeo of the event
is about 50% higher than the headline numbers in the summary at the
front.
- The difference between early and late registration prices is fairly
narrow (EUR400 vs EUR465). This will contribute to late registration,
to some extent.
- Folks have already commented that the headline profit doesn't go up
very much between the 600 and 1000 delegate scenarios. Increasing the
late registration fees would help with that.
- In general, I am finding it hard to figure out why the headline
profit doesn't go up more between 600 and 1000 delegates. I see EUR150
/ delegate in variable costs, so 400 extra delegates at EUR400 each
should drive about EUR100K (400 * (EUR400 - EUR150)) in extra profit.
So I'd like to hear some commentary about that just to feel sure the
arithmetic is all good.
- The venue expense is really high, nothing to do about that, it's a
world class city. However, it'll be a new conference record. Because
it's a large fixed cost there is a higher downside risk if numbers
don't materialize. I don't see there's much to do about that, though.
- The early/late registration numbers don't match prior experience,
they assume more early registration proportionally than we've ever had
before. That's actually a good thing though, since it further
understates revenue, which means, again, the budget is more profitable
than you'd expect looking at the headline figure alone.
- The registration fees differ from those presented in the wiki, are
these the new proposed fees or old, superseded ones?

Anyhow, one line summary:

- Looks pretty good to me. As usual, lining up the sponsorship docket
remains the critical piece that the LOC has the most control over.
Clarification on the proposed prices (wiki or budget) would be good,
but it all looks very solid.

Paul