[Board] Re: [Fwd: [Foss4g2010-private] Budget FOSS4G 2010, review 12-2009]

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Dec 3 12:48:51 PST 2009

Thanks for your excellent summary Paul.  Seeing the 20,000USD written
into the budget as an expense and still show a profit (good catch by the
way), and another 5% miscellaneous, really makes me wonder about OSGeo's
requirements for the 2011 RFP (but that's for a different thread I
suppose).

That said, what is relevant is possibly a discussion, dare i say it, of
what an LOC is supposed to do in the case of this profit - 2007's
numbers were very good (+120,000CAD?), and I believe the 2007 LOC gave a
good chunk back to OSGeo.  What, in the opinion of the Board, should an
LOC be doing with this $?  Should a statement be added into the 2011 RFP
to handle this possible scenario?  Do we dare try to make this formal?

Back to the 2010 budget: I also think the early/late registration fees
are not priced different enough - I think in 2007 the difference was
200CAD and for 2010 it would be only 100CAD.

I think this is a good budget at such an early stage in the game (have
we ever had such a detailed budget to approve for FOSS4G in the past?).

Grupo Pacifico seems to be on the ball.

-jeff