[Board] ISPRS news

maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it
Wed Jan 28 01:59:18 PST 2009

Dear Markus, dear all
the ISPRS Working Group IV/5 "Distributed, Web-based Geoinformation
Services and Applications" has started its work.
The call for Partecipation follows. Presence of OSgeo people is appreciated.
Cheers. Maria

International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
ISPRS WG IV/5
2008-2012

Call for Participation and First Circular Letter

The fast emergence of Web 2.0 and the increased role of the Internet
and location-based geospatial services and "virtual globe" (or
"virtual earth", "digital earth") in society have created many new
potentials of using the Web for spatial information dissemination and
application development. Over the past few years, we have seen
constant updating of related web and geospatial technologies as well
as the revolution of web mapping caused by mainstream IT vendors such
as Google, Yahoo and Microsoft; increased interest from industry on
geospatial information technologies; and increasing demand from the
general public for prompt and effective geospatial information
services. There is a need to continue collaboration at the
international level to advance science and technology in the area, and
to explore many recommendations such as those stated in ISPRS Congress
Resolution in 2008:

     * the encouragement of research in pervasive geo-computing
     * the development of geospatial data processing techniques using
distributed services and grid computing
     * the development of Web search engines for spatiotemporal data

Our working group, in its second term under ISPRS Technical Commission
IV, aims at informing and activating people interested in distributed,
web-based geoinformation services and applications, and working in
academic institutions, government agencies and private sectors. We are
focused on promoting the goals of the WG as expressed in its Terms of
Reference by means of various activities and events and in
co-operation with ISPRS, other national and international
organisations and Geomatics-related firms.

In addition, we advise you to have a look at our WEB page at

http://www.commission4.isprs.org/wg5

The website provides detailed information, updates and news and many
useful links and information. We aim at making our Website an
effective collaboration platform as well as a useful information
source for the WG members and other interested people in the area.

You are cordially invited to participate in the activities of this WG.
If you want to join the WG please send back to the WG Officers the
information required by the enclosed questionnaire, which you can also
fill-out and send electronically from our Website. Please feel free to
pass this information to your colleagues who may be interested in the
WG.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to join us.

Yours sincerely,
Songnian Li, Bert Veenendaal, Maria Brovelli, and Suzana Dragicevic

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Politecnico di Milano - Campus Como
http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/cv/