[Board] foss4g marketing [was: facilitating FOSS4G continuity]

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Mon Mar 9 02:23:14 PDT 2009

I've been trying to understand how to solve a problem that affects
foss4g organizers.

At the beginning of his mandate the LOC has no budget. At the end of the
conference it, hopefully, has a lot of money to give to OSGeo.
One of the problem we have to face is how to promote the event not only
on the internet (this costs only time) but physically at events.

Organizing the event in Europe, I find it critical to try to promote the
foss4g at Inspire's meetings. Next in June.
Probably having a person from our LOC in Sidney would be important not
only to present Barcelona but even to get in contact with Cameron & C.
and brief over many aspects of the conference that you can't write/read
on wikis.
OGC's meeting should be targeted too.

These are just a couple of good examples that would worth an economical
support from OSGeo.
I think the budget needed for this kind of things is poor respect to the
money the conference is supposed to give back.

I can put my time but my bank account could not support the rest.

ciao
Lorenzo