[Board] foss4g marketing [was: facilitating FOSS4G continuity]

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 11 15:32:05 PDT 2009

> Perhaps we can "dodge" this issue by starting to be more proactive in
> our "seed funding" duties. 2008 had to beg, and I think received
> nothing in the end. 2009 I am not sure received anything either. Why
> don't we get 2010 to set up their account, and transfer $15000 to
> them, then *they* can choose the most effective use of their pre-event
> seed funding (bearing in mind the need for deposits as well as
> marketing activity).
>
> Paul

Now we are getting somewehre. This is developing into a budget that can
become part of general OSGeo expenses. The board can now whine that this a
lot of money and that there are funds to cover these costs and then
someone needs to get busy and find a big or many or many big sponsors.

Regards,
Arnulf.

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Jeff McKenna
> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>
>>> Then there is the idea of paying someone's way to attend the event, but
>>> that's obviously a bigger issue.
>>>

>> This is exactly what I am talking about.  The "bigger issue".  LOCs can
>> throw free passes in no problem, but the real problem is covering all
>> costs
>> (such as for representatives of the OSGeo conference committee, or the
>> past
>> LOC organizer).  Roll your eyes if you wish, but if we want  to
>> "facilitate
>> FOSS4G continuity" we'll have to deal with the bigger issue at some
>> point.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> --
>> Jeff McKenna