[Board] Re: F2F meeting

Ravi ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 09:41:26 PST 2009

Hi Arnulf,
the developing world including India can benefit from FOSS GIS
in many ways, reducing corruption, saving exchequers money, guiding
the farmer.. many more.
But the catch22 prevents true penetration of FOSS GIS. Unless jobs are there few students are interested, and unless students with knowledge of FOSS GIS are there jobs cannot be created. Unless jobs are there no educational institute wants to embark on a FOSS GIS project.. and Unless proven projects are there, no one wants to launch a new project.

It is only awareness building that can change it for us, through workshops, seminars for teachers and students alike.

So if a priority has to be set, with the meager resources  it must focus on creating awareness as top priority.

Would be very happy if the board can meet F2F in India. That will give us a great boost, as we will invite the concerned Indian departments to see some demos/ talks by OSGeo board. In India 90% GIS work is government controlled.

Love to be at Barselona, to proudly announce OSGeo India's bid for FOSS4G.
'Thousands of dream like expectations,  But each one saps my breath'
(Urdu shair: Hazaron Quaishen nikle, magar, har Quaish me dum nikla)

Cheers
Ravi

ThanQ Venkatesh, and the Urdu Shair must sum up the situation.