[Board] Re: F2F meeting

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 10 02:27:08 PST 2009

> Hi Arnulf,
> the developing world including India can benefit from FOSS GIS
> in many ways, reducing corruption, saving exchequers money, guiding
> the farmer.. many more.
> But the catch22 prevents true penetration of FOSS GIS. Unless jobs are
> there few students are interested, and unless students with knowledge of
> FOSS GIS are there jobs cannot be created. Unless jobs are there no
> educational institute wants to embark on a FOSS GIS project.. and Unless
> proven projects are there, no one wants to launch a new project.
>
> It is only awareness building that can change it for us, through
> workshops, seminars for teachers and students alike.
>
> So if a priority has to be set, with the meager resources  it must focus
> on creating awareness as top priority.
>
> Would be very happy if the board can meet F2F in India. That will give us
> a great boost, as we will invite the concerned Indian departments to see
> some demos/ talks by OSGeo board. In India 90% GIS work is government
> controlled.
>
> Love to be at Barselona, to proudly announce OSGeo India's bid for FOSS4G.
> 'Thousands of dream like expectations,  But each one saps my breath'
> (Urdu shair: Hazaron Quaishen nikle, magar, har Quaish me dum nikla)
>
> Cheers
> Ravi
>
> ThanQ Venkatesh, and the Urdu Shair must sum up the situation.

Ravi,
I understand. Let us work on something in that direction.

Aiming high; Could you imagine that an executive summit on Open Source
Geospatial with an invitation of the OSGeo board to India would be a good
idea? We could organize it as a two day micro conference with the first
running high level workshops for more technically oriented folks (CTOs)
and the second with introductions to Free Software licensing and Open
Source development models followed by presentations showcasing productive
and successful use cases of the public administration using FOSSS4G. I can
contribute three high level use cases using OSGeo software at municipal,
federal and European level.

I guess even if not all directors can make it we could get together a
fairly high profile group of people for such an event. The board (or at
least those members who can make it) can have an f2f following this micro
conference.

With enough advance planning we might even find a high level sponsor form
the Indian government to fund such an event - or is that already dreaming?

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> --- On Sun, 8/11/09, Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp>
> wrote:
>
>> From: Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp>
>> Subject: Re: [Board] Re: F2F meeting
>> To: board at lists.osgeo.org
>> Date: Sunday, 8 November, 2009, 6:03 PM
>> Hi Arnulf, Ravi,
>>
>> Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
>> > Ravi,
>> > I can follow you for the first part. I do not
>> understand "The philosophy
>> > of OSGeo translating into priorities will make a local
>> chapter spend their
>> > meager resources in organising awareness." though. Can
>> you please explain?
>>
>> I guess, what Ravi means is the he might as well spend his
>> (OSGeo-India Chapter's) meager resources to organize an
>> OSGeo awareness campaign
>> (workshop's, seminars etc.) in India.
>>
>> Could be worth considering to have an F2F in Ravi's home
>> turf.
>> That would kill two birds with one stone.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Venka
>>

>       The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> http://in.yahoo.com/

Arnulf Christl
President OSGeo
http://www.osgeo.org