[Board] Fwd: [Foss4g2010] subscriptions

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Nov 26 09:54:35 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> One thing that has been contemplated in the past, but was generally not
> considered financially viable, was to have some slush money in the
> conference budget to pay for travel costs or at least "comped" conference

Among the options available to you if you start from a higher base
rate (and FOSS4G continues to have among the lowest rates I've seen
for an international non-academic conference) is speaker discounts,
which would simultaneously allow you to increase overall revenues
while addressing the most cogent criticism of the pricing structure
that I have heard, namely that "OSGeo expects you to pay to come speak
at FOSS4G".

Paul "Just because the software is free doesn't mean everything else
has to be" Ramsey