[Board] errata to Board topics

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Sep 12 15:21:37 PDT 2009

misc points:

OSGeo at OSCon:

OSGeo has of course "presented at OSCon" previously.. I saw Aaron
Racicot present at an early stage of OSGeo - it was great!  I  *meant*
in the previous letter - presented at the "State of Open Source"
session, where nearly 20 of the largest OSS orgs all line up in 7
minute sessions, on camera.... OSGeo was in the lineup for the first
time this year, I believe..

the second point is, I have been getting some feedback like "you are
apparently trying to make OSGeo into a consulting company, and that
sucks".. Well, no, thats not the intent actually, though I could see
how things could be misconstrued that way...

If OSGeo believes some pieces of Open Geo Data were vital, what if
OSGeo had the server capacity to host that, reliably.. to create some
infrastructure for certain select niches.. or crucial common interest
areas ?  Its not out of the realm of possibility...

What if OSGeo had more and varied events, not just one per year..
What if OSGeo had better educational materials, created cirriculum...
What if OSGeo could contribute at a Policy Level (ahem), to emerging
issues, with substantive, researched and cogent white papers, like a
think tank?
What if the speakers and guest lecturers efforts were strengthened?
What if publications were more developed?
and of course, how can core software development be even better
supported?

None of these suggestions are meant to take anything away from the
achievements of the past, and ongoing .. Of course most of those things
are already happening, in some form or another. Personally I dont know
all of the OSGeo activities.. thats good!  I am suggesting that there
are additional routes to accomplishing these desirable goals...

I am also suggesting that there are ways to ethically, and within
mission, earn revenue for the organization.. Every city around here has
a small club like "Italian Club" or "Finnish Hall", etc.. these
ethnically oriented groups, non-profits, came together in the past to
make capacity, and necessarily had to bring in money to do so... They
would hold a fair, or a concert, or a dance, or host a famous speaker,
charge for it, and the revenue goes back into the organization...

Why now? Why OSGeo ?

I am keen on OSGeo as a fulcrum in a rapidly advancing corner of the
technology universe, *and* as a strategically critical piece of how to
grapple with some of the largest systems challenges facing mankind
right now.. Planetwork.net, the 5th International Symposium on Digital
Earth, the Geospatial Innovation Lab at Berkeley, these are places I
have sought out and become involved with..

So I thank you for your patience.. I look forward to a robust
discussion from the Board of OSGeo, when the time is right, on these
possibilities for organizational development..

best regards from Berkeley, California

Brian Hamlin