[Board] Board Update

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Sep 13 15:41:26 PDT 2009

Hi Tyler, board,

thanks for your "state of the art" email. A few comments inline:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Tyler Mitchell
(OSGeo)<tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Here are a few main points going through my head and items I'm dealing
> with.  I'm sure a couple of them will get you thinking and raise more
> questions...fire away!
>
> I presented at and am following up from the http://mil-oss.org event.
> It was a good group of folks to talk to and lots of geospatial interest.
> Distribute a fair bit of OSGeo marketing material and had several 1-on-1
> talks afterwards.  Two specific example points I've been following up
> on:
> --- Discussing the open source Opticks project and how/where to work
> closer with those at Ball Aerospace working on this open source package.
> Had good reciprocal discussions with their lead.

Interesting! Would be curious how it compares to Orfeo toolbox.
http://smsc.cnes.fr/PLEIADES/lien3_vm.htm
> --- Several breakout discussions on education/academia, involving those
> from Denver University, pointed to the use of an existing "GIS Core
> Curriculum" document that could be used as an outline for building
> training material that profs could use.
> --- We also discussed a few other ideas for education/training, as well
> as general talk about OSGeo and its direction.

I would suggest to bring this up on OSGeo-Edu. Quite a bit of material
is being created, for example the material by Helena Mitasova and
others. Perhaps also Marketing needs to be somehow involved for
Edu-branding (if it exists) and better knowledge dissemination.

> --- One question that I was asked, and would like to put to the board as
> well, was "Where do you see OSGeo in 5 years?"  It caught me slightly
> unawares and I was called away before I could really talk through it.
> How about you?

The recent mail from Brian goes into the same direction. But worth to be
brought up on the discuss list as well.

[ good stuff dropped ]

> Systems admin discussions have been brief, but there is some general
> agreement to look at hosting with http://osuosl.org.  The only hitch is
> we need to buy some hardware for them since they are currently maxed out
> on servers.  I'm hoping we can get something spec'd out and lined up
> over the next couple months.  Will discuss further with SAC and Finance
> committee, but just wanted it on your radar.  Our current hosting is not
> the best due to restrictive hardware upgrade options.

... I would appreciate to overcome current bottlenecks, I hope we can
come to some agreement with osuosl.org.

[...]

Best
Markus