[Board] OSGeo Sponsorship and Conference Sponsorship

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Fri Apr 16 14:31:45 PDT 2010

Hi,

Currently, making an argument to sponsor FOSS4G is an easy sell:
organizations which sponsor are given booth space, logo + marketing
opportunities, and significant recognition throughout the (well-
attended) conference.

It is my belief that currently, OSGeo sponsorship is a harder sell,
especially to organizations which are not currently active in the Open
Source geospatial world.

As a form of enticing organizations to sponsor the organization as
well as the conference, it seems to me like it might make sense to
offer a discount on conference sponsorships to organizations which
sponsor the organization. This provides an additional, quite tangible
benefit to anyone that sponsors OSGeo: the ability to receive a
discount on potential conference sponsorship.

One potential way to go about this, which seems reasonably fair, and
unlikely to significantly negatively impact the bottom line of either
the conference or the organization, is to arrange for organization
sponsors to receive a 10% discount as a Principal Sponsor, and a 20%
discount as a Sustaining Sponsor. This sponsorship discount would not
be cumulative with any other potential discounts, like the 15%
discount offered for 2010 sponsorship to organizations which
registered as sponsors before the end of 2009.

The end result of this, given the current FOSS4G sponsorship rates is
that at the maximum sponsorship level of FOSS4G ($55k USD) would be
offered an $11000 discount on this sponsorship, which could be paid to
the LOC as part of the operation of the conference. If this were the
case, the effective sponsorship funding to the combination of the
organization and the conference would go from $105k to $95k. (Since
the funding for the conference is from OSGeo, any 'loss' from the
organization to the conference is really just a transfer, regardless
of the technical/financial concept behind it, in my estimation.) A
Principal sponsor would have a similar relative change in incoming cash.

I don't know for sure if this would be enticing to many organizations,
but it seems like it would be an obvious, tangible benefit to offer to
principal sponsors of OSGeo even if they aren't actively participating
in the community; anyone who is considering sponsoring an event at a
large scale anyway might well 'step up' their sponsorship a level if
the total opportunity cost was lower.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this type of additional benefit
to higher level sponsors of OSGeo?

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt