[Board] Romanian local chapter

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Tue Dec 14 09:00:18 PST 2010

Dear Tyler,

I sending you the official expression of interest from the Romanian
local chapter to be recognized as a full OSGeo local chapter (actually
I'm hitting the "Send" button right in the middle of your OSGeo
presentation here in Barcelona :)

Please forward this to the board of directors.

Warm regards,
Vasile

Dear members of the OSGeo board,

My name is Vasile Crăciunescu and I am writing you in the name of the
Romanian "in formation" local chapter. This letter is an official
expression of interest to be recognized as a full OSGeo local chapter.
Our motivation and achievements follows.

Introduction

The idea of starting an Romanian OSGeo Local Chapter came out after
FOSS4G2006 but it begin to shape after FOSS4G2007. For the moment, the
main vehicle for FLOSS & OSGeo promotion is geo-spatial.org. The website
(Romanian only at this point) represents a collaborative effort by and
for the Romanian community to facilitate the sharing of geospatial
knowledge and the discovery and publishing of free geographic datasets
and maps. Anyone can make a contribution by submitting articles or
datasets for publication, adding comments to the existing articles, join
the discussion on the mailing list or user’s forum. The website was
created in order to overcome some of the dysfunctions related to
geospatial domain in Romania (lack of geodata, metadata, SDI, obsolete
rules regarding the rights to own and use geodata, time consuming
bureaucratic procedures related to geodata share/exchange between the
interested institutions, lack of a coherent educational strategy,
specialized courses in faculties, books, journals, discussion forums).
Currently we have an active mailing list with more than 300 subscribers
and a formal board with 13 members from industry and academic institutions.

geo-spatial.org website

The website is divided in several functional sections. In each section,
the information is placed in predefined categories and sub-categories.
Most of the sections contains written materials:
- Articles: theoretical essays on geospatial topics;
- Tutorials: materials indented to teach the user, in a step by step
manner, how to work with certain datasets, software, technique etc;
- Reviews: reviews for geospatial datasets, cartographic products,
software, articles, books;
- Links: collections of references to other online resources;
- Blog: a non conventional section for publishing thoughts, ideas,
findings etc.
- Download section contains categories for all kind of geospatial data
(digital elevation models, processed satellite images, vector data:
communication networks, localities, hydrographical networks, contour
lines, points of interest etc.) at different scales and spatial extend.
Other categories contain documents (PhD thesis, scanned books &
articles), old maps, software.

FOSS4G promotion

1. Written materials
One of the main ideas behind geo-spatial.org is to promote the use of
free and open source geospatial software. Multiple articles, tutorials
and blog entries on geo-spatial.org are dedicated to this subject. At
this moment, 30 articles, tutorials and reviews are specifically
targeting FOSS4G software and are registered in the OSGeo Educational
Content Inventory.

2. Workshops and meetings
-28 February 2008: meeting in a pub. 17 attendees. City: Bucharest
(http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=240)
-30 May 2008: meeting in a pub. 7 attendees. City: Cluj Napoca.
-25 September 2008: meeting at the Faculty of Geography - University of
Bucharest. Presentations on open source software use (VTP, OpenLayers,
Geoserver, PostGIS, Geonetwork, LeoWorks) and free talks. 21 attendees
(http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=241).
-23 October: meeting at the Faculty of Geography - University Alexandru
Ioan Cuza. 35 attendees. City: Iasi. Practical introductions to open
source webmapping software (OpenLayers, Geoserver), OpenStreetMap
Romania presentation and live demos, free talks
(http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=242).
-13-14 December 2008: first real "hands on" workshop on webmapping. 13
attendees. City: Brasov (http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=243).
-3-4 of April 2009, in partnership with the Faculty of Geography -
University Babes - Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, we have organized a seminar on
free and open source geospatial solutions (GeoServer, OpenLayers, VTP,
Leoworks, SAGA GIS). 120 attendees. City: Cluj Napoca
(http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=244).
-16-18 of April 2010, second edition of the Romanian GFOSS workshop
(GDAL, OpenGeo Suite, VTP). The largest Romanian OSM mapping party was
organised in the final day. 140 attendees. City: Cluj Napoca
(http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=294).

3. Campaigns
An open letter, signed by 39 GIS users, was sent to the Romanian
National Mapping Agency, asking to support us in replacing the existing
transformations between the Romanian coordinate systems and WGS84 in
EPSG tables with more accurate (and public) ones. The answer was
positive and the new transformations were approved by EPSG board.

4. Free geodata
We try to publish the data under the public domain license. That means
that everyone can use, redistribute, modify or sell the data without
needing any permission. For the authors who want a more restrictive
license model, we use PGL, a form inspired from LGPL software license.

Romanian chapter role

* Promote OSGeo and FOSS4G software via geo-spatial.org
* Promote OSGeo and FOSS4G software at local events (conferences,
workshops, demonstrations, different meetings)
* Organize special events to promote OSGeo and FOSS4G software
* A bridge between Romanian software developers and users
* Software and documentation localization and internationalization
* Translate the important sections of OSGeo website
* Promote open standards adoption for the geo-information
* Promote the free access to geodata
* Write new project proposal related to the spread/develop of FOSS4G
software

More detailed information is available in the annual reports sent to
OSGeo. If additional details are required we here to provide all the
necessary answers.

Yours sincerely,
Vasile Crăciunescu