[Board] Potential Vietnam Chapter

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Feb 11 19:42:08 PST 2010

Hello fellow Board members,

Some of you may be aware that there are discussions of a possible
Vietnam local chapter formation occurring now.  In fact there is talk of
bringing the important players together in Hanoi Vietnam on March
10-14th to discuss the potential reasons and benefits of forming an
official OSGeo local chapter.

I am writing this message to you, since I am currently 'in the area' of
these meetings (Japan) and I would like to go attend the Vietnam meeting
as an OSGeo Director.  I am requesting that some funding be provided for
my travel there, as well as local travel for 2 important representatives
in Vietnam.  The meetings will take place in Hanoi.

Some of you may have traveled in SE Asia, and you know of the respect
shown there towards OSGeo delegates.  So it will mean a lot to the
Vietnam representatives to have a current OSGeo Director in the
meetings.  Venka (another former Director) will also attend the meetings
in Vietnam (he is providing his own funding).

I am not requesting for spending money, I am requesting that my actual
travel (flight from Japan to Vietnam, and hotel) be covered, as well as
local travel for 2 Vietnam delegates.  I will provide receipts for all
travel.  The estimate is:

Flight:       700 USD
Hotel:        300 USD
Local travel: 600 USD

(hotel is very cheap in Vietnam)

I think this is a great opportunity, especially since I happen to be in
the area.

Please provide your thoughts, and let me know how we can move forward.
Thanks.

-jeff