[Board] Potential Vietnam Chapter

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 11 21:51:25 PST 2010

Hi Jeff, hope your visit there is going well!  Here's a bit of background for the rest of the board, and maybe you, on the whole Vietnam discussion and why I started it.  I'm doing this with various potential local chapters and other international contacts, by the way...

Earlier in the month, I approached some Vietnam contacts (including Venka) to see how things were going down there since last year their gov't adopted an encouraging stance toward open source - with commitments to migrate their IT infrastructures and staff over to FOSS in 2010.  I was curious on how the local folks saw implementations happening and was asking how others of us outside could help.  Sounds like some encouraging things going on and my main reason for contacting them was to get up to date from the local members on the ground.  One thing led to another and there is a general invite to come and meet with them, which Jeff is referring to.

My hope though, in the end, was sort of like what Ravi has proposed. Where a local chapter can arrange a meeting/workshop/round table discussion and invite and !fund! for guests to come.  That's occurred in the past elsewhere (e.g. when Michael went to China) and will happen in the future as well.

It's obviously not my call on the funding question and where that fits into the budget, but thought some background might help set the stage for where this came from.  I recommend focusing on local sponsors to fund such an event.

Hope that helps,
Tyler