[Board] OKF / OSGeo response to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Feb 21 07:00:21 PST 2010

dear Board,

As you may have heard, there's a public consultation running in the UK
on options for open licensing national mapping data maintained by
Ordnance Survey.

There's been some discussion on the OSGeo-UK list and the Open Knowledge
Foundation list about a shared response to the consultation.

Here's the near-final draft, which I am basically happy with.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATJnv_t9ROmXZGN0Yjk3ampfMjBmM2ZqZnpkMg&hl=en

The consultation outlines 3 options: 1) is Do Nothing, 2) is Open
Everything, 3) is "staged release" of some products including postcode
geolocations (critical in the UK as a postal code is typically less than
a city block in size) and adminstrative boundaries.

The response sets the case for a modified Option 2, all raw vector data.

Talked about this with Tyler, who thinks that there should be a Board
approval stage for this to go out under the banner of OSGeo.

Deadline for the response is March 17th, but it would be great to
publish it within the next week, so it can be circulated and perhaps
have a chance of influencing others' responses.

Can this be done on a "speak if not satisfied within several days,
otherwise approval by default" basis?

I have carte blanche to make an official OKF response, but it would be
nice to have a joint one.

be well all,

jo