[Board] OKF / OSGeo response to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 22 05:59:48 PST 2010

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear Board,
>
> As you may have heard, there's a public consultation running in the UK
> on options for open licensing national mapping data maintained by
> Ordnance Survey.
>
> There's been some discussion on the OSGeo-UK list and the Open Knowledge
> Foundation list about a shared response to the consultation.
>
> Here's the near-final draft, which I am basically happy with.
>
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATJnv_t9ROmXZGN0Yjk3ampfMjBmM2ZqZnpkMg&hl=en
>

> The consultation outlines 3 options: 1) is Do Nothing, 2) is Open
> Everything, 3) is "staged release" of some products including postcode
> geolocations (critical in the UK as a postal code is typically less than
> a city block in size) and adminstrative boundaries.
>
> The response sets the case for a modified Option 2, all raw vector data.
>
> Talked about this with Tyler, who thinks that there should be a Board
> approval stage for this to go out under the banner of OSGeo.
>
> Deadline for the response is March 17th, but it would be great to
> publish it within the next week, so it can be circulated and perhaps
> have a chance of influencing others' responses.
>
> Can this be done on a "speak if not satisfied within several days,
> otherwise approval by default" basis?

Jo,

It appears that the letter of support protocol is the most appropriate
one to apply in this case:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Protocol_for_requesting_letter_of_support

I would suggest that you follow this model.  When a motion is approved
by the board, I would suggest we include a note that we authorize Jo
to make editorial and other improvements to the document that do not
substantially alter it's intent.

I have reviewed the document and I am very comfortable with it.  It seems
very much in line with OSGeo's position on open geodata.  I must say I'm
also very encouraged at the potential for progress on open geodata in
the UK.  Tight control of OS data has been an irritant to me for years.