[Board] [Fwd: Re: Map World Forum 2011]

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Jun 7 08:19:26 PDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:07 AM, ext Daniel Morissette wrote:

> christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>>>
>>> This issue again became apparent in the recent discussion around
>>> supporting Map World Forum 2011 by GIS Development. Annu Negi from GIS
>>> Development used "OSGeo Int." to differentiate it from the OSGeo Local
>>> Chapter "OSGeo India". There might be other options some of which
>>> already came up. It would be good to develop a consensus and then use on
>>> how to name OSGeo in contexts where we need to differentiate. Here are
>>> some suggestions off the top of my head. Please add your own ideas and
>>> consider and comment them.
>>> * OSGeo World
>>> * OSGeo Main
>>> * OSGeo International
>>> * OSGeo Int.
>>> * OSGeo HQ
>>> * OSGeo
>>
>> My answer to this has always been "The OSGeo Foundation". The Foundation
>> is the encompassing umbrella; the Local Chapters are part of it; there
>> is no 'entity' which is "OSGeo without the local chapters" -- such a thing
>> doesn't exist, because all of what OSGeo is is contained in the local
>> chapters, the people in them and all the other people participating
>> in OSGeo.
>>

> Chris, and All,
>
> I know I'm in for a long argument with this reply, but I don't have time
> for it now so I'll just throw my 0.02$ in support of Arnulf's
> questioning and bail out:
>
> Once you start dealing with members/activities of local chapters on a
> daily basis like Arnulf, myself and a few others do then you will start
> to see a need for this differentiation. Of course we're all part of the
> same community but at the same time we need a way to tell what is local
> and what is global.

Sure. I'm not saying there is no differentiation, I just don't think that
"OSGeo International" is the right term; We are the OSGeo Foundation, and
all things that are happening worldwide fit well under that billet; am
I wrong there?

"OSGeo International" sounds like a *seperate* group; the OSGeo Foundation
sounds like a parent/umbrella to me.

> I didn't realize the importance of this before trying for a few years to
> convince people to join/participate in OSGeo (the global entity) and
> failing miserably... and then seeing how a local chapter with the same
> individuals could grow into a vibrant community in less than two years,
> just because we approached things locally instead of just saying "join
> the global community". It's all the same in the end, but it's not.

I apologize if my email was confusing; I don't disagree with any of this,
and feel that what you have stated here is vital, but I don't like the
name "OSGeo International" because it feels like a seperate group
from the local chapters -- it's a parent group, not a sibling, in a
hierarchy.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt