[Board] [Fwd: Re: Map World Forum 2011]

Seven seven at arnulf.us
Mon Jun 7 14:37:06 PDT 2010

On 06/07/2010 05:19 PM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

>>> My answer to this has always been "The OSGeo Foundation". The Foundation
>>> is the encompassing umbrella; the Local Chapters are part of it; there
>>> is no 'entity' which is "OSGeo without the local chapters" -- such a thing
>>> doesn't exist, because all of what OSGeo is is contained in the local
>>> chapters, the people in them and all the other people participating
>>> in OSGeo.
>>>

>> Chris, and All,
>>
>> I know I'm in for a long argument with this reply, but I don't have time
>> for it now so I'll just throw my 0.02$ in support of Arnulf's
>> questioning and bail out:
>>
>> Once you start dealing with members/activities of local chapters on a
>> daily basis like Arnulf, myself and a few others do then you will start
>> to see a need for this differentiation. Of course we're all part of the
>> same community but at the same time we need a way to tell what is local
>> and what is global.
>>
> Sure. I'm not saying there is no differentiation, I just don't think that
> "OSGeo International" is the right term; We are the OSGeo Foundation, and
> all things that are happening worldwide fit well under that billet; am
> I wrong there?
>
> "OSGeo International" sounds like a *seperate* group; the OSGeo Foundation
> sounds like a parent/umbrella to me.

OK, then we do have a motion up / need to hack the Wiki because in our
trademark guidelines [1] it actually says that "OSGeo Foundation" is
improper usage.

Besides that I am fine with "OSGeo Foundation". Hm, that is even good
for a small typo as in "OSGeo Fundation" what it really should be.

Regards,
Arnulf.

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/legal/trademark_guidelines.html
-> see "Our Trademarks", last sentence:
"OSGeo's trademarks should be used in their exact form, including
capitalization -- neither abbreviated nor combined with any other word
or words (e.g. "OSGeo" rather than "osgeo" or "OS GEO", "Open Source
Geospatial Foundation" rather than "OSGeo Foundation", etc). "

--
Arnulf Christl

Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us