[Board] Potential Vietnam Chapter

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 19:42:26 PST 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> About local chapters sponsoring OSGeo, a more clear policy needs
> about responsibilities and benefits need to be outlined by OSGeo
> to attract such sponsorships. I would even go to the extent of
> suggesting that "official" local chapters to sponsor OSGeo at
> Associate Sponsor level(for non-profits) and avail benefits
> that come with it. I would also suggest special sponsorship
> rates for non-OECD countries to lower entry level barriers for
> countries like VN etc.

This idea would completely disincentivize most local chapters to even participate.   Furthermore, differentially putting up giant barriers to participate like this would invite resentment within the organization.

Can you explain the benefits currently availed to local chapters that would warrant $3000?  We don't currently allow local chapters to brand their own events with OSGeo branding (either OSGeo or FOSS4G), which is their only practical way to come up with such funding (why can't we fix/allow this, btw?).

Howard