[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 24 06:57:56 PDT 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I disagree here.  The travel policy should apply to any OSGeo member or
> employee.  I don't think any single individual should be allowed to make
> his/her own decisions on travel (if I was in the E.D. role I would
> expect that I would have to approve my own travel with the Board before
> booking).

Jeff,

Well, this will bear some further discussion then.  I'll be hard to
convince, but I can be overridden if necessary without me feeling
bad.

> I'd like to see a travel policy come out of this whole discussion,
> approved by the Board, that would apply to any member of OSGeo, paid or
> otherwise.

Agreed, with the exception (in my mind) of the ED.

Actually, I can imagine a few other exceptions too.  For instance
committees and projects spending out of their own budgets should also
not be subject to an overall project.  In the past GDAL has paid for it's
maintainer to attend FOSS4G and we (the project) would not have appreciated
any interference.