[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 24 06:48:56 PDT 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> I think Tyler also mentioned that out of this should come a more
>> formal definition of the role of Directors - I'm all for this.  In
>> this case having a director of OSGeo attend a chapter formation
>> meeting was a big deal to the local community members - chapters in SE
>> Asia are much more formal than in North America. (yes I even wore a
>> "suit" jacket!!! ha)
>
> Folks,
>
> For what it is worth, I do not think this should be a "Directors
> Travel" policy, it should be a policy on how we can cover expenses
> for OSGeo ambassadors when appropriate.  They might be directors,
> project leads, charter members or just advocates.

I agree 100% with you here.  The travel should apply to any OSGeo member
or employee.

> I would add that Tyler has a travel budget and the policy is that he
> can make decisions on travel within that budget as he sees fit to
> serve the needs and objectives of OSGeo.  I don't think we need to
> interfere in that.

I disagree here.  The travel policy should apply to any OSGeo member or
employee.  I don't think any single individual should be allowed to make
his/her own decisions on travel (if I was in the E.D. role I would
expect that I would have to approve my own travel with the Board before
booking).

I'd like to see a travel policy come out of this whole discussion,
approved by the Board, that would apply to any member of OSGeo, paid or
otherwise.

-jeff