[Board] Mapworld Forum 2011

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 14 07:59:39 PDT 2010

Ravi wrote:
> Dear OSGeo Board,
> Sub: Participation of OSGeo  at Mapworld Forum  January 2011, at Hyderabad.
> Ref: Mapworld Forum January 2011 Hyderabad.
>
> The Executive council (E.C) of OSGeo India wish to convey the following to the OSGeo's board.
>
>  The E.C learned that one of the Director's of  (OSGeo), Arnulf Christl may attend the Map World Forum January 2011.
>  OSGeo India is not going to participate in the 'Map World Forum 2011', in spite of the fact that there is a good support for
>  OSGeo activities, in the city of Hyderabad and a premier educational institute namely IIIT, Hyderabad is the seat of OSGeo India.
>
> Reasons for non participation in Mapworld Forum January 2011:
>
> 1. We see the event 'Mapworld Forum', a facade to show case Proprietary GIS Solutions, and
>    promote their market in India, which is counter productive to spread of Free and Open Souce GIS.
>    The organisers only wish to have the much needed advantage, which they will gain for sure, through
>    OSGeo (International) accepting to partner.
> 2. 'GIS Development', which conducts the event, has done precious little to support OSGeo and Open Source GIS
>    since January, 2007, when OSGeo India was launched. The organisers have an educational institute which only
>    propagates Proprietary GIS. To encourage use and teaching of Open Source GIS, OSGeo India resource persons attended
>    events conducted by them free of charge, but in vain. OSGeo India has even contributed by way scientific articles in
>    their journal, following their request.
> 3. Though the organisers are very much in touch with OSGeo India office bearers, they have not communicated with
>    OSGeo India.
> 4. The event Mapworld Forum, is a very costly event with a very high registration fee structure
>    which does not encourage serious participation by Open Source GIS users and developers alike.
> 5. We request the OSGeo (International) to avoid partnering / attending this event, as the absence of OSGeo India, in an event
>    chaired by the OSGeo (International) will not set a good example, that too when most of active OSGeo India executive
>    resides in the same city, Hyderabad, where the event is going to be held.

Ravi,

I have struggled with this request and not come to a firm conclusion as to
what I think the right path is.  On the one hand, I'd like to respect
OSGeo India's opinion on your own turf.  On the other hand I generally do not
like to discourage the involvement of OSGeo advocates in any event or venue.
In particular, I don't like to try and draw a line down the middle of the
geospatial world with proprietary on one side, and open source on the other
and to discourage fraternization over that line.

We (OSGeo) have generally taken the position that it is good for our mission
to reach out organizations that have been traditionally quite proprietary
in nature.  This manifests, for instance, in encouraging the participation
of proprietary software companies in FOSS4G with however an expectation
that presentations or workshops have at least some open source connection.
We also encourage bridges between open source and proprietary software
packages.  In my realm (GDAL) this manifests as putting effort into supporting
translation services for the internal formats of proprietary software
packages.

I completely respect OSGeo India's right to avoid investing resources in
the Mapworld Forum event if you don't feel it is a good way to reach the
desired user base.  I'd be willing to consider whether or not it is
appropriate for us to appear as a "partner" in Mapworld Forum.  But I
think it would be inappropriate to discourage OSGeo advocates from
speaking there.

By the way, I have generally found the GIS Development folks to be pretty
open to open source activities.  I was invited to act in an advisory role
with them one year, though I'm afraid I was essentially a dud in that
role.  I don't doubt they lean towards supporting their advertisers which
mostly means proprietary GIS companies, but I have not found them
exclusionary.  I feel engagement is worthwhile.