Fwd: Fw: [Board] OSM MoU

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Mon Nov 8 10:01:52 PST 2010

A response from Mikel attached (and copied below)...

Thanks Arnulf

So there's two issues ... where do OSGeo and OSM missions overlap,
points of real collaboration?
And then, would that require an MoU to facilitate?

On the first

- software, of course there's very good support for OSM in qgis,
postgis, OpenLayers. But then everyone still wants OGR support!

- Local chapters ... OSMF thinks its absolutely fine for local chapters
to share other missions. We've severely delayed drafting the official
agreement, but groups already organized under OSGeo, Wikipedia, LUGs, or
even (and especially) non-technical groups will be very welcome as long
as they have a significant OSM effort going.

- Another point is conferences. SOTM is scheduled immediately before
FOSS4G in Denver. I imagine that the organizing committees of each will
have many points to collaborate on.

- As for perception as OSGeo project etc ... I think those kind of
paranoid thoughts dropped off a couple years ago :)

So that's where the activities stand, in good shape. Do these require an
MoU? Well I honestly hadn't been thinking about it, but if you all want
to make a case for it, I'd be happy to bring up with the OSMF Board. If
things are fine as they are, also cool. Or if there's any other way we
can collaborate, let's discuss.

-Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+254(0)724899738 @mikel s:mikelmaron