[Board] Re: Invitation for content

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 19 11:09:12 PST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On November 19, 2010 09:19:38 am Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I'm sure you know what I think of this being a private communication.
>
> Okay, moving to public list...
>
> I don't mind talking about the system publicly, but I'd rather not worry about
> having the URL made too public and having to deal with bogus account creation
> requests.

Tyler,

Thanks for summarizing in the wiki!

Perhaps you can close new accounts or setup an email rule to route
them to the trash.

>> Screencast flash technology does not work on my system, and I'm not
>> inclined to bend over backwards to make it work.
>>
>> I really wish you would just summarize the role of the new system in
>> textual email to the board mailing list.  My open source sensibilities
>> are doubly offended (by -priv and flash).
>
> No worries here, I've put the info this page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_System

Cool, thanks.   I was able to step through some of the scenarios you outline
and get a sense of what is available.

Is the contribution information intended to be current?  Are there really
no GDAL/OGR Project contributions since 2008?

I'm a bit uncertain about having the sponsor contributions managed through
this system *and* with detailed entries in quickbooksonline.  Isn't this
just going to make managing them even more work?

I notice you wish to keep contact information for officers.  Do you foresee
a need to have more available than just their email address?  Particularly
for the project liaisons it already seems hard to keep the wiki page
current.  I'm concerned it will be challenging to remember to also update
CivicCRM though perhaps it doesn't matter if it isn't always accurate?

I understand you plan to keep all charter members listed.  What sort of
contact information are you hoping to have for them?

Are you looking to use this system to also manage individual contributions?
For instance if someone makes a $10 paypal contribution on the web site?

Are you looking to use this system to manage non-charter members?  Will
we consider the names of non-charter members private or public?

You don't need final answers to all the above of course.  I'm just trying
to get a sense of the objectives and I suppose mildly concerned about
information duplication and having one more thing to update.

I presume this service is running on the new VM that will also be
hosting the www.osgeo.org Drupal instance?