[Board] 501c3 application - a non-update

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Oct 20 09:24:29 PDT 2010

Just talked with our rep at the IRS this morning he told me they still have
our application but two other applicants are ahead of us in the review line.
He apologised for the delay and mentioned that the delays are nothing to do
with us but are due to shortage of staff at their end.  He personally has these
other two cases to deal with first.

For background of those unfamiliar with the process we've went through so
far...
- In fall of 2008 we submitted our initial application, with help of an
attorney.  I can email you a copy if of the application if you would like to
look at it.
- In April 2009 we received an initial notice that they were going to do
further review of the application. "because it presents issues that are not
entirely clear under established precedent"
- In January 2010 (yes 2010!) we received a response letter that included many
questions
- In March 2010 I submitted a response, with the review help of non-profit
support attorney.
- I left a couple messages throughout the year with no response.  I left a
message this morning that was promptly returned.  We can expect it will be
several months further before more occurs on this application.

Hope that helps,
Tyler

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director, OSGeo
tmitchell at osgeo.org
+1-250-303-1831
See you at FOSS4 2011 Denver in September!