[Board] Anything for discussion here?

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Dec 9 02:31:39 PST 2011

Hi Arnulf,

Yes, it was more the matter of how the foundation needs to evolve (if it
does), as a function of age and improving access to infrastructure, rather
than any direct parallels between the Apache foundation and OSGeo.

Better to discuss these things now, and adapt if necessary, rather than
suddenly finding ourselves in the position where we're seen as the slightly
out of touch old dinosaur!

Jo

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:

> Jo,
> thanks for bringing this up. Actually I wanted to post a similar but
> more aggressive thread to Discuss, just to get some feedback - but I did
> not find it anymore.
>
> As Ari says this appears to be an Apache foundation issue and does not
> apply to OSGeo as much because we have a less formal approach to what
> our projects use for code versioning or most everything else. This is
> due to our self-organizing principle which seems to be the best way to
> "manage" our projects.
>
> But it does raise the issue of how an old foundation can get younger
> people interested. (Yes, we are just five years down the road and maybe
> still consider ourselves "young" but still, in IT this can be ages.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf
>
> On 08.12.2011 14:23, Ari Jolma wrote:
> > Jo, others,
> >
> > I read the article as it caught my eye (*apache* harmful??). The title
> > is misleading as it is mostly about a perceived problem in how the
> > apache *foundation* works - which does much more than apache the web
> server.
> >
> > I think the very basic thinking behind the article is sound - there is
> > always a new generation and it will have its own way of working. The
> > trick is how to get it involved and work together with the old folks. I
> > also agree that some of the technical support role that a foundation
> > such as ours has is not so central - but the people operating it and
> > their willingness are very crucial. I personally am very interested in
> > Git and the advantages it can bring - but still the meritocratic
> > principle and the benefits of having a single well-maintained source
> > tree have not disappeared suddenly. AFAIK, Git was developed for Linux
> > kernel development and the article is exaggerating its role as a new
> > revolutional tool. I believe one of OSGeo's flagships (QGIS) has changed
> > to Git and I haven't heard of anything negative - in fact I would be
> > interested to hear more about their experience.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ari
> >
> > On 12/05/2011 11:07 PM, Jo Cook wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I guess that most people caught this article a couple of weeks
> >> ago: http://www.mikealrogers.com/posts/apache-considered-harmful.html
> >>
> >> It got me wondering about the way that foundations need to change with
> >> time, and whether we should be taking on board any of it with regards
> >> to OSGeo. Disclaimer- I'm not asking because I think we're going down
> >> the same lines, I'm genuinely just using the article as a springboard
> >> for discussion.
> >>
> >> My two pence worth- the point about lowering of barriers to entry is
> >> an interesting one. Projects don't necessarily need someone big  to
> >> provide infrastructure these days, they can do it in an adhoc way- so
> >> in that world, what does OSGeo do for the projects? What should we be
> [...]

864201149.