[Board] Helpers at FOSS4G

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Feb 3 00:33:49 PST 2011

On 02/01/2011 11:31 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a heads-up that we're expecting a new baby in our house in
> September.  I asked if we could put it off until after FOSS4G, but
> apparently it's not possible!

Tyler,
this is great news, congratulations! Wish you all the best and say hello
to your family. Too bad that they won't adhere to your schedule :-)

As SOTM, FOSS4G and an OGC TC meeting are this year all due in September
*and* in Denver I will be in that area for at least three weeks. Maybe
we can arrange to meet somewhere during that time, I might also come to
Canada for a short visit.

> So... I highly doubt I'll be anywhere near Denver in September and am
> on the hunt for folks to help take over tasks that I normally
> coordinate.  Of course I can still help with lots of planning work,
> but the implementation needs some help.

I guess some of these tasks naturally fall back to the president's job
unless there are others interested in joining forces, so I'll commit to
the following:

* Running the AGM
We have done this together before, so with a little help in coordinating
up front I am happy to do this.

* Oversee the OSGeo Booth
It would be great if we could arrange to have more community activity at
the OSGeo booth this year, so we might want to move this item to OSGeo
discuss and the public FOSS4G mailing list. The marketing committee will
also have a vital interest in becoming active here.

* Give opening OSGeo "welcome" talk and/or closing talk
FOSS4G will be just between SOTM and OGC making it a great bridge
between different takes on Openness. Apart from that it would be great
to have a connoisseur of the local culture and Open Source business
perception in North America give a fine tuned talk about what OSGeo is
to the expected audience.

* Host the Board Meeting
* Visit all the sponsors and say thanks :)
I do this every year, so no problem to do it again. But we should take
this chance and use what we find out for our future policy regarding the
North American markets. Again, someone from Marketing should join in
analyzing what we have found out. It is also a great opportunity to
start a targeted fund raising activity.

* Buy a drink for the conference chair

Ha. Well, lets see, I guess this is one of the more complicated tasks so
I'll happily leave it to others.

* other things I'm forgetting...

> Some of these are easier than others.  Any takers?

As said above I suggest to broaden the scope of this request and try to
get more people involved from all areas of interest within OSGeo. I
added it to the board meeting agenda [1] today (tonight for me).

Best regards,
Arnulf

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2011-02-03

> list Board at lists.osgeo.org