[Board] Proposal to start board of directors elections

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 26 20:34:45 PDT 2011

Hi Board,

Following up on the other thread about charter members and directors
elections, I have updated the 2011 Election wiki page to push the
charter member election to the fall as we did last year (since we don't
have time before FOSS4G), and to propose a schedule to start the board
of directors election at the end of this week:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2011

FYI there are 5 seats up for election this year:
* Markus Neteler, Chris Schmidt, Geoff Zeiss, Jeff McKenna and Ravi
Kumar have reached the end of their 2-year term.
* Continuing Board members who have another year to serve are Arnulf
Christl, Frank Warmerdam, Tim Schaub and Daniel Morissette

I didn't find a clear rule about how to launch the elections in the
bylaws and according to the thread from last year around the same dates
it doesn't seem that we need an official board motion to start the
election (which would require +1 from all board members unless I'm
mistaken), so I'll just make an informal proposal here and if it gets
+1's from a majority of the board members (and no -1) then we'll go
ahead. (If anyone thinks this is not the right procedure then please
speak up ASAP)

***
I hereby propose that we run the 2011 board of directors election during
the period of July 29 to August 21, 2011 as per
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2011, with Daniel Morissette as
Chief Returning Officer (CRO) and Tyler Mitchell as backup during
Daniel's vacation.
***

And I start with my +1

Daniel