[Board] meeting

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 7 16:14:30 PDT 2011

> Please also consider whether you can throw in another hour for an extra
> meeting and some up front thinking and mailing regarding a business plan
> for 2012. We also need to devise a stratgegy for the next 5 years. There
> has been considerable discussion and thoughts on how we manage our
> budget, fundraising and our current employment situation.

I'll be available for the July 7th and any other meetings in between.

From my angle, I believe we are in desperate need of some clear goal setting.  So
I'm very keen to help make this strategy discussion and future planning happen
in any way I can.  My last few emails have received limited response but have been
very strategic in nature, I hope you will have some time to consider these ideas.
I'm happy to talk about them on the phone, skype text or email - just let me know
the best way to engage you on this.  Any further thoughts through the public list
would be very helpful for not only me but also for the OSGeo membership generally
to see (and participate in!) the strategic discussion.

Let me help you by asking questions and giving ideas, so you can give thumbs
up/down, ask for improvements and get on with your day jobs.  I get the sense that
most directors have limited time to dig into these details,  so my hope is that with a
few strategic topics and a few clear goals it doesn't have to be a painful exercise for you.

I've proposed several items and assume general consent unless I hear otherwise.
Also, as you saw in the survey, I'm taking some of these questions to the membership
so you can make the most informed decisions based on their input and feedback.  I hope
this approach is helpful - I'll have more on this shortly.

The next step I believe the board needs to make is to agree on goals for the next calendar
year and the 5 yr term as Arnulf noted.  Where do you want OSGeo to be?  This is also a
good question that any new director candidates could start discussing.  If we wait until
other meetings to be able to discuss these items, decisions will not be as strongly
informed as they could be - so I hope we can discuss some items on the list as well.

Best wishes,
Tyler