[Board] Sponsorship Go To Person

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Nov 9 01:48:03 PST 2011

For the time being I would be happy to be a central hub for these kinds
of requests. Just to make sure that they are followed up by someone -
not essentially by myself. Without a central point of access this will
not work.

I also think that it makes a lot of sense to broaden the group of people
who can acquire new sponsors for OSGeo. Just like I would like to
enhance the notion of OSGeo ambassadors who can get invited to give
talks (me, myself and I are simply not enough to cover all events).

We might also want to rethink the roles needed for fundraising. An idea
I posted a while back circled around allowing a percentage of the raised
fund as incentive for people to get active in contacting potential
sponsors. But again - this needs up front work in preparing a good pitch
- - what do I get out of sponsoring? This topic is probably too broad for
the board to tackle but our last try at a committee did not get anywhere
either. And it will be very different stories to tell to the different
types of sponsors, just thinking private company, public administraiton,
defence, developing world, etc. - all different goals.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 08.11.2011 21:08, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thank you for taking the issue to the board list (I realize that this is
> what I should have done in the first place).
>
> Please see my comments below...
>
> On 11-11-08 02:39 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I think it is desirable for at least all board members to be prepared to
>> pursue sponsorship conversations.  I can see it might be helpful to have
>> a sponsorship support person who can address details of the sponsorship
>> program and possible work to ensure that the sponsor contain is
>> maintained.
>>

> Agreed that all board members should be prepared to deal with sponsors
> and share that load, but the same way we have a MOU czar, we need
> someone ultimately responsible for sponsorship-related requests to
> ensure none of them falls in between chairs, even if that just means
> dispatching the requests to other board members based on proximity to
> their location, language, background, etc.
>

>> Perhaps we can discuss this Thursday.  Follow up isn't really my strong
>> point, but I have fairly strong opinions on the mechanisms of the
>> sponsorship
>> program so I would potentially be willing to be the "sponsorship support"
>> guy as long as it is understood this does not mean doing all the selling
>> of sponsorship - something that I believe needs to be broadly based
>> (even well beyond the board).
>>

> I added an item for this to the agenda. (And I agree that nobody on the
> board wants to be the sole person responsible for all the sponsorship
> selling work)

- --
Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us