[Board] Proposal/thoughts for a FOSS4G Advisor Role

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 21 19:54:33 PST 2011

A few comments/questions:

- As I've said several times before, I am supportive of the idea in
general, just need to work out the details

- The Background section of Jeff's doc says that OSGeo "is also
responsible for any financial losses occurred". Is this really the case?
Can't we avoid this commitment? I thought I had asked this question in
the context of Beijing and was told that there was no written commitment
on OSGeo's side to cover an eventual financial loss, just that we'd get
no profits in return.

- Should we consider a scenario with base amount + share of profits?

- I am realizing that this investment in such a position we are
effectively subsidizing ~30k$ to the LOC. Should we charge that amount
to the LOC, or have a way to force them to account for this amount
somehow in the way they calculate the profit (i.e. in case that they
choose to keep part of the profit and return the rest to OSGeo, profit
should be calculated after accounting for that 30k$ expense, so this is
treated as an actual conference expense and we don't take that money out
of OSGeo's share of the profit)

On 11-11-21 04:09 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Board,
>
> I have started my thoughts on a structure for a new recurring (partially
> funded) role for the OSGeo organization:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Advisor_Role
>
> Related thoughts:
>
> - if you respond with "compensation is over our budget" then let's
> remove tasks/responsibilities and then adjust the cost estimate
>
> - yes this proposal is for an annual role; this year's event moving to
> another region for the first time just highlights how important this
> role is through the years
>
> I will do my best to listen to all feedback. I am also happy if edits
> occur directly on that page.
>
> I am definitely acting on something that I have been wanting to put
> forward for a very long time.
>
> -jeff

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/