[Board] Proposal/thoughts for a FOSS4G Advisor Role

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 22 12:08:29 PST 2011

On 11-11-22 12:07 PM, Peter Batty wrote:

> Jeff seemed resistant to this role having ownership of the success of
> the conference, but right now we're in the crazy position that we
> entirely hand financial responsibility (and more) over to an unpaid
> volunteer who we may not know well, they have no financial incentive to
> make it a success, and if they make a loss OSGeo covers that. It seems
> essential to me that we get closer oversight/ownership of this, and this
> role is the obvious way to do that I think.

As OSGeo treasurer, the fact that we accept full financial
responsibility for any losses (which is fresh news to me), after handing
full financial control to the LOC is really something that bothers me a
lot, and hopefully something that this position can help address.

So if there is any way that we can tie this new role to the financial
success of the conference and reduce the risk for the foundation then I
as treasurer will be very supportive of it.

(Of course there is more than finances in the measurement of success of
a FOSS4G, but I am speaking as treasurer here and I will let others
speak for the other view points)

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/