[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Board] Proposal/thoughts for a FOSS4G Advisor Role

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 01:48:18 PST 2011

I've read through this thread and my sentiments are very similar to
Peter Batty's. Like Peter, one of the things I missed most when we were
organising FOSS4G 2009 was experience from previous conferences.
Paul Ramsey (chair of FOSS4G 2007) did weigh in sometimes and his advise
was hugely valuable (along with his Lessons Learned), but beyond that,
we re-learned many things again the hard way.

I've added comments to the wiki for the FOSS4G Advisor Role.
In particular:
* I think this role should be supporting local FOSS4G events as much as
the international event. The transition to many local events will reach
an order of magnitude more people than the international event, and as
such should be encouraged. They will also be experiencing different
opportunities and challenges, as they will often be smaller with less
access to OSGeo celebrities, and as such would probably benefit more
from an advisor role than the international events.

* I think the most effective way to help many events is to start adding
to a FOSS4G Cookbook. If a FOSS4G adviser's key role is to share
knowledge between events, then I would expect they would be a key
contributor to such a Cookbook.

* I didn't feel a need for advice related to the venue that an external
advisor would have significantly helped with, and as such don't see
funding a pre-visit to the conference venue as a priority.